Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Language: a Lost Art

So about a month ago my roommate and I were watching a lovely movie called Much Ado About Nothing. Well it would have been lovely, if it weren't for the bits of nudity here and there in the beginning, a raunchy 'you know what' scene in the middle, and a hero who physically and verbally abuses his bride in the end. Alright i admit it really wasn't lovely at all. In fact it was quite horrifying. 

However there is one thing I can say I absolutely loved about this little re-enactment of Shakespeare's play: the language. It is such an art! I'm a big fan of period movies...(partly because they are some of the greatest chick-flicks ever made) but mostly because I love listening to the way they spoke back then. Our language today is so bland and un-creative. Humorous, yes, but not witty.

We don't even know the meaning of wit....

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man; and he that is more than a youth is not for me, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him." - Beatrice from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing
What we would say today instead: I'm too good for any man


Or romance...

"How can you, of all people, dispose of yourself without affection?" - Tom Lefory
"How can I dispose of myself with it? You are leaving tomorrow." - Jane Austen from Becoming Jane
What we would say today instead: Why are you getting hitched when you hate that dude? - Tom. I like you - Jane

Or loathing...

"Did I just agree to dance with Mr. Darcy?" - Elizabeth
"I daresay you will find him to be very amiable." - Charlotte
"That would be most inconvenient since I have sworn to loathe him for eternity." - Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice
What we would say today instead: I'm blind and can't see how smoking hott Mr. Darcy is so I will pretend to hate him


Seriously, who is smart enough to talk like that anymore? Nobody! well except Lil Jon of course...





Haha. Sometimes I just wish we could go back to the good old days, when all people did was sit around conversing with visitors, eating good food, and becoming 'accomplished' in the arts of language and music! Oh how lovely that would be! (especially the eating good food part)


moral of this post: Lil Jon is a pimp


2 comments:

  1. dude where do you find all these hilarious pictures to go with your posts? so freaking funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks kerri! I've actually mostly gotten the ideas for my posts from the pictures I already have saved on my computer. I;m a sucker for comics ;)

    ReplyDelete